Dua Perkasa Lestari
1) RAN report titled “Major Brands and Banks Complicit in the Production of Conflict Palm Oil on Stolen Community Lands in Indonesia” (21 August 2020)
(1a) RAN highlighted following issues:
– Decades-long unresolved conflict between PT Dua Perkasa Lestari (PT DPL) with the Pante Cermin community
– Negligence process to seek Free, Prior and Informed Consent (FPIC) from Pante Cermin community
– Lack of proper permits for PT DPL to operate
– Development on peat
– Use of military personnel to intimidate and displace community members.
(1b) According to RAN’s field investigation, PT Beurata Subur Persada (PT BSP) has received Fresh Fruit Bunches (FFB) from PT DPL
(1c) RAN stated that PT DPL has committed to a moratorium for land clearing
As Musim Mas does not have a direct business relationship with PT DPL, the engagement was carried out through PT Beurata Subur Persada (PT BSP) as a direct buyer of PT DPL.
Based on our engagement with PT BSP regarding the alleged issue raised in RAN report dated 21 August 2020, we were made aware of the following information:
1) PT DPL stated that the land issue between the company and Pante Cermin community has been going on since years ago. As an effort to settle the dispute, on 29 September 2019, a meeting was held between PT DPL and Regional Government, Plantation service, Police, Military and Plasma Community.
2) PT DPL conveyed that the company is operating on an area with Land Cultivation Right that is in accordance with BPN decree.
3) PT DPL conveyed to DPRK that if the community is able to provide the land ownership document, this issue can then be solved through legal process.
4) PT DPL also stated that to date, the company has not disturbed the community land planted with mature oil palms.
Musim Mas will continue to engage with PT BSP regarding the case.