Musim Mas Group – PT Musim Mas
(1) The complaint filed by the Federation of Indonesian Metal Workers Union (FSPMI) to the RSPO Complaints Panel (RSPO CP), against POM’s Batang Kulim Palm Oil Mill and POM’s Pangkalan Lesung Palm Oil Mill, with the following problems:
- Unofficial Company Regulations;
- Overtime premium at a fixed rate;
- Copies of the Mutual Consultation Agreement were not provided to employees;
- Workers who work night shifts are not given extra food;
- Inadequate and unhealthy housing for workers;
- Past day workers are not given a written employment agreement;
- Casual daily workers are not given a Employment Guarantee card (BPJS Ketenagakerjaan);
- Complicated health insurance (BPJS Kesehatan) and paid sick day processing procedures;
- Unfair dismissal / termination of employment due to unjustifiable reasons such as participating in union activities;
- Limitation of workers’ right to organize outside of established independent / non-affiliated unions
We received an email from the RSPO on 28 September 2020 informing us that the RSPO Complaints Panel (RSPO CP) has made an initial diagnosis of the allegation, and the Complaints Panel has officially received complaints against POM’s Batang Kulim Palm Oil Mill & POM’s Pangkalan Lesung Palm Oil Mill.
After that, they will examine the merits of the accusation. After preliminary consideration, two of the above allegations were excluded from this complaint, namely:
- Musim Mas unfairly dismissed one of the workers represented in the Complaint because that worker participated in FSPMI activities during working hours; and
- Musim Mas does not respect freedom of association and workers ‘rights to form, join and operate a trade union outside the Independent Workers’ Union that has been formed, namely the Musim Mas Work Union by terminating the employment relationship of one of the PT Musim Mas FSPMI officials.
The RSPO is asking for a formal response to the remaining allegations.
On 06 October 2020, we gave an official response with relevant documents and evidence, and the RSPO has confirmed its acceptance.
As a member of the Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) and the Palm Oil Innovation Group (POIG), Musim Mas’ labor conditions are checked and verified annually according to RSPO and POIG standards. In 2016, the NGO Verité conducted a special labor audit and found no discrepancies regarding the issues raised in this complaint. Verité audit report can be accessed here.
We await an official response from the RSPO Complaints Panel.
November – December 2020
RSPO has requested the Certification Body (CB) to conduct a Special Audit for PT Musim Mas. The Special Audit was conducted in December 2020.
January – April 2021
The outcome of the Special Audit is pending. Periodic updates on the Special Audit outcome process is stated on the RSPO Complaints Website here.
On 25 May 2021, RSPO stated on their website that the Briefing Note is in progress.
The RSPO Complaints Panel stated on 23 June 2021 that they are furnishing the decision letter.
The Complaints Panel has furnished the CP with the draft decision letter on 01 July 2021.
We received an official decision from RSPO Complaints Panel that the complaint against PT Musim Mas is dismissed. The Complaints Panel has reviewed the findings of the Special Audit Report against the allegations raised, and finds that PT Musim Mas is in compliance with the RSPO Principles and Criteria 2018. The decision letter can be found here.