TH Plantations Bhd
TH Plantations, the Plantation arm of Lembaga Tabung Haji is a publicly-listed oil palm and rubber plantations company in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
TH Plantations has a corporate website which can be found here.
1) Greenpeace – Letter to consumer goods companies non-compliant suppliers (04 May 2018)
2) Greenpeace report titled, “Final Countdown: Now or Never to Reform the Palm Oil Industry” (19 September 2018)
3) Mighty Earth report titled, “Rapid Response Report 5” (16 June 2018)
4) Mighty Earth report titled, “Rapid Response Report 14” (12 April 2019)
5) Mighty Earth report titled, “Rapid Response Report 15” (22 May 2019)
6) Mighty Earth report titled, “Rapid Response Report 18” (12 August 2019)
(1) and (2) Greenpeace is concerned with the adoption of the NDPE policy and its implementation along the supply chain by companies on their suppliers and the impact it has on deforestation.
(3) A subsidiary of the group, PT Persada Kencana Prima cleared forest and Peatland in North Kalimantan, Indonesia.
(4) The report alleges development of 161 hectares of peat forest and 465 hectares of clearance preparation in Hydroflow Sdn Bhd concession between 11 January – 06 March 2019.
(5) The report alleges deforestation by Ladang Tabung Haji of an estimated 22 hectares between 24 March – 10 May 2019.
(6) TH Plantations’ subsidiary, TH Pelata Meludam Sdn Bhd was alleged to develop 4 hectares of peat between 20 April – 01 August 2019.
We contacted TH Plantations and shared our concerns on the sustainability, peat, and deforestation especially in Kalimantan.
We reached out to TH Plantations to clarify on the allegations of peat development and clearance preparation.
We engaged TH Plantations to clarify the allegations of deforestation mentioned in the report.
We clarified the allegations of peat development mentioned in the report with TH Plantations through an official letter.
There is a ‘stop work order’ in place and TH Plantations have developed an action plan. They are undertaking further steps to strengthen their sustainability practices according to the action plan.
We are continuing our efforts to engage and get further updates on the developments in the action plan.
TH Plantations confirmed that the moratorium is still in place and they have done some land rehabilitation work for areas which were accidentally cleared. They are also looking at solutions to deal with logging concessions located within their area.
TH Plantations has verified the allegations and confirmed that the contended area is outside of Hydroflow’s concession boundaries. They believe it belongs to a neighbouring estate and that Mighty Earth has mistakenly tagged it as part of Hydroflow’s concession.
To further validate their statement, TH Plantations has confirmed they have issued a stop-work order on Hydroflow since September 2018. Since then, no heavy machinery has been placed within the estates and no funds have been channeled to them for any further development.
TH Plantations confirmed that the estate mentioned, Ladang Tabung Haji no longer belongs to THP. It was sold to another company based in East Malaysia in 2008.
TH Plantations responded that the land-clearing is not within their estate and is located outside TH Pelata Meludam Sdn Bhd’s concessions. TH Plantations have also provided supporting evidence via satellite imagery to corroborate their statement.
We have verified the evidence provided and confirmed that the land-clearing falls outside their concessions.