Musim Mas Group – PT Musim Mas
(1) A complaint lodged by Federasi Serikat Pekerja Metal Indonesia (FSPMI) to RSPO Complaints Panel (RSPO CP), against Pabrik Kelapa Sawit Batang Kulim POM and Pabrik Kelapa Sawit Pangkalan Lesung POM, alleging of the following issues:
- Unauthorised Company Regulation;
- Flat rate overtime premium;
- Copy of the Collective Bargaining Agreement is not furnished to the workers;
- Workers working night shift are not provided with extra food;
- Inadequate and unsanitary worker’s housing;
- Daily casual workers are not provided with a written employment agreement;
- Daily casual workers are not provided with Employment security (BPJS Ketenagakerjaan) card;
- Complicated healthcare insurance (BPJS Kesehatan) and paid sick day procedures;
- Unfair dismissal/termination for unjustified reason such as participating in union activities;
- Limitation of worker’s right to organize outside the established independent/non-affiliated trade union
We received an email from RSPO on 28 September 2020 informing us that the RSPO Complaints Panel (RSPO CP) has performed an initial diagnosis of the allegations, and the Complaints Panel has formally accepted a complaint against Pabrik Kelapa Sawit Batang Kulim POM & Pabrik Kelapa Sawit Pangkalan Lesung POM. They will thereafter examine the merits of the allegations.
After a preliminary deliberation, two of the above allegations were precluded from this complaint, namely that:
- Musim Mas unjustly terminated one of the workers represented in the Complaint because the worker in question participated in FSPMI activities during working hours; and
- Musim Mas does not respect freedom of association and the rights of workers to form, join and operate a labour union outside of the already established Independent Trade Union, namely the Serikat Kerja Musim Mas (Musim Mas Worker Union) by terminating the employment of one of the FSPMI PT Musim Mas officials.
RSPO requested for a formal response to the remaining allegations.
On 06 October 2020, we provided a formal response with relevant documents and evidence, and RSPO has acknowledged receipt.
As a member of the Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) and Palm Oil Innovation Group (POIG), Musim Mas’ labor conditions are checked and verified annually according to RSPO and POIG standards. In 2016, the NGO Verité carried out a special labor audit and found no non-conformances concerning the issues raised in this complaint. The Verité audit report can be accessed here.
We are awaiting a formal response to our submissions by the RSPO CP.